On the CUSP: STOP BSI
Toolkits and Resources
Implementing On the CUSP: Stop BSI required hospitals to apply manuals, training modules, and toolkits. Below are links to several resources to help state hospital associations and hospital units implement CUSP and reduce CLABSI.
Quick-Links by Heading:
The CUSP Toolkit
The CUSP Toolkit is available on the AHRQ website. The toolkit includes training tools to make care safer by improving the foundation of how physicians, nurses, and other clinical team members work together. It builds the capacity to address safety issues by combining clinical best practices and the science of safety. Created for clinicians by clinicians, the CUSP Toolkit is modular and modifiable to meet individual unit needs.
The seven CUSP Toolkit modules are:
- Learn About CUSP: Get an overview of the CUSP model and resources to use when applying CUSP.
- Assemble the Team: Learn how to identify and engage team members and define roles and responsibilities. Engage the Senior Executive: Find out how to bridge the gap between senior management and frontline providers and remove barriers to implementing improvement projects.
- Engage the Senior Executive: Find out how to bridge the gap between senior management and frontline providers and remove barriers to implementing improvement projects.
- Understand the Science of Safety: Learn about workflows in systems, apply principles of safe design, and encourage input of team members.
- Identify Defects Through Sensemaking: Get tips on how to engage frontline providers in identifying system defects and make sense of root causes.
- Implement Teamwork and Communication: Apply proven models of effective communication.
- Apply CUSP: See how CUSP can be applied to diverse care settings and a range of safety issues.
The CLABSI Elimination Toolkit is designed to help hospital units implement evidence-based practices and eliminate central line-associated bloodstream infections (CLABSI) in their units. When used with the Comprehensive Unit-based Safety Program (CUSP) model or The CUSP Toolkit, the below manual and tools have helped hospital unit teams to dramatically reduce CLABSI in more than 1,000 hospitals across the country.
- CLABSI Elimination Toolkit Manual (.doc)
- Appendix 1. Weeks Without CLABSIs Banner (.ppt)
- Appendix 2. Central Line Associated Bloodstream Infections Fact Sheet (.doc)
- Appendix 3. Vascular Access Device Training Slides (.ppt)
- Appendix 4. Line Cart Inventory (.doc)
- Appendix 5. Central Line Insertion Checklist (.doc)
- Appendix 6. Central Line Maintenance Audit Form (.doc)
- Appendix 7. CLABSI Event Report Template (.doc)
- Appendix 8. CLABSI Investigation Nurse Letter (.doc)
- Appendix 9. Back to Basics Document (.doc)
Implementing widespread quality improvement programs can drastically decrease, and possibly end, the occurrence of health care-associated infections. The National Collaborative Manual serves as a “how-to” guide on the essential structure necessary to build teams, monitor data, and learn coaching methodologies that will support a successful quality improvement initiative. The manual also includes tips on how to effectively coach your teams, whether it is in-person or via electronic means.
The State Lead Operation Manual was the primary project management resource for state-level coordinators. The manual included appendices such as sample documents, letters, agendas, and project tracking tools. The manual was not prescriptive. However, it served as a guide for state coordinators to successfully help unit teams in their states implement CUSP and reduce CLABSI.
- State Lead Manual and Tools